VLADIMIR I. KEILIS-BOROK
||Research group leader, International Institute for Earthquake Prediction
Theory and Mathematical Geophysics, Russian Academy of Sciences
||Founder and Director, the above Institute
||Professor of Earth and Planetary Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles (part time)
||Founder and co-Director, Research program and Workshop on non-linear dynamics and
earthquake prediction, the Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, trieste.
||Institute of the Physics of the Earth, Ac. Sci. USSR Last position –
Founder and Chairman, Department of Computational Geophysics, 1970-1989
||Visiting Professor: UCLA, Purdue University, MIT, CIT, Harvard University,
Universities of trieste and Rome (La Sapienza), Institute of Earth Physics (Paris), and others.
||American Academy of Arts and Sciences
||US National Academy of Sciences
||Russian Academy of Sciences
||Royal Astronomical Society
||Austrian Academy of Sciences
||Pontifical Academy of Sciences, member of the Council since 1996
||Doctor Honoris Causa, Institut de Physique du Globe, Paris
||Fairchild Distinguished Scholar, California Institute of Technology
||Regents Professor, UCLA
||Richardson medal for achievements in non-linear dynamics
FIELDS OF RESEARCH
Mathematical modeling and data interpretation in the study of:
non-linear dynamics of lithosphere; dynamics of seismicity; earthquake prediction; critical
transitions in hierarchical chaotic systems; socio-economic instabilities; pattern recognition
of infrequent events.
- dynamics and structure of solid Earth,
- critical phenomena in chaotic systems.
seismic source mechanism; identification of underground nuclear explosions; nucleation of
strong earthquakes; reconstruction of fault systems; probabilistic estimation of seismic risk;
earthquake preparedness; seismological inversion; theory of seismic waves; magneto-elastic waves;
- Colliding cascadesmodel for prediction of critical phenomena in hierarchical non-linear systems.
- Symptoms of near-criticalstate in such systems.
- Integral measures of instability in the fault networks.
- Pre-failure transformation of multiple fracturing in a wide range of scales, from erg to
- Statistical significance of several intermediate-term earthquake prediction algorithms
(it is established byworldwide testing).
- New earthquake prediction algorithms of enhanced accuracy.
- Algorithms for prediction of economic recessions and surges of unemployment.
- Algorithmsfor prediction of American Presidential and midterm Senatorial elections.
- Long-range correlations in the dynamics of seismicity.
- Scaling and similarity of intermediate-term premonitory seismicity patternsand theirrelevance to
deterministic chaos in the lithosphere.
- A set of intermediate-term earthquake prediction algorithms.
- Models of dynamics of faultsystems.
- Models of fluid-inducedinstability in the lithosphere: stress corrosion and non-linear filtration.
- Introduction of pattern recognition of infrequent events into analysis of complex systems in solid Earth.
- Identification of earthquakes’nucleation structures for numerous regions worldwide.
- Probabilistic estimates of seismic risk in terms of damageto population and economy (particularly for
megacities); methods for optimization of earthquake preparedness.
- Methodology to determine and reduce non-uniqueness of seismological inversion.
- Introduction of operators’ theory into theory of surface waves.
- Introduction of the surface waves (contrary to the direction of the first arrivals only) into
identification of underground nuclear explosions.
Also, development of a graduate lecture course, “Instability in complex geosystems.”
- “Understanding and Prediction of Critical transitions in Complex Systems. The 21st Century Collaborative Activity Award for Studying Complex Systems. McDonnell Foundation. Principal Investigator. 2000-2003.
- “Non-linear dynamics and earthquake prediction”. The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, trieste. Research leader, 1985–2013.
- “Socio-economic instability of megacities,” grant from the International Centre for Studies of Economy and Poverty. Project leader, 1995-2013.
- “Application of Dynamic Systems to Earthquake Prediction,” Co-P.I., grant from NSF, 1998 – 2000.
- term earthquake prediction,” Chairman, grants from the International Council of Scientific Union, NAS, and other agencies, 1992
- “Multiple fracturing of solids,” Co-P.I., grant from the European Union, 1993-1999.
- “Development of intercomputer network for geophysical studies in F.S.U.,” grant from the European Union, Co-P.I., 1997-1999.
- “Application of R&D in military aviation systems to problems of mitigation of damage from the earthquakes,” Research leader, grant from the International Science and Technology Center, 1997
- “Conversion of R&D in missile navigation to mathematical problems of ecology and natural hazards,” Research leader, grant from the International Science and Technology Center, 1995
- “Advanced studies in theoretical geophysics,” Research leader, grants from Schlumberger Foundation, 1992-1995, 1998.
- “Non-linear dynamics of solid Earth and its applications,” (French-Russian project). Co-chairman, grant from the French National Research Council, 1994
- “Chaos and Critical Phenomena in the Earth's Lithosphere,” P.I., grant from the Soros Foundation, 1994-1995.
- “Advanced training in seismic risk evaluation,” Project leader, grant from International Reinsurance Company MAPFRE (Spain), 1993-1996.
||President, International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
||Founder and Chairman, International Committee for Geophysical Theory and
Computers, later renamed Committee for Mathematical Geophysics
||Board Member, International Council of Scientific Unions;
||Member of the Union’s Scientific Committee for International Decade for
Natural Disasters Reduction.
||Member, Scientific Committee, EU International Association for Support of
BasicResearch in the Countries of the Former Soviet Union.
||Expert, Technical meetings on the nuclear test ban treaty
||Member, Russian Ac. Sci. Committee for International Security and Disarmament.
Member, Council of the Russian Foundation for Basic Research.
Member, International Working Group on geological safety of the nuclear waste depositories.
||Founder and chief co-editor, Series:
Computational Seismology and Geodynamics, published in Russia and USA
|Member of other editorial boards.